Eco travel is a phrase that has been tossed around in travel blogs and recent travel news, but what does it really mean? While you don’t have to forfeit all worldly possessions, there are plenty of little changes that you can make to do your part and travel green. Here are few tips on How to Travel Green:
- Take fewer, longer trips. Save all of your vacation time for one big trip a year, rather than several small ones throughout.
- Choose destinations with easy access to other areas so you get the most out of your trip. You’ll save money, meet more local people, and get a lot of exploring and learning done all in one trip.
- If you need to get around at your destination, use public transportation, walk, or even bike whenever possible.
- When renting a car, choose the smallest vehicle that can comfortably accommodate you and your travel party, or rent a hybrid.
- Stay at an eco friendly resort
- Take an eco tour - learn about the local people and natural environment
- Recycle in your hotel room - many hotels have begun implementing a linen re-use program. You can contribute to the green movement not only by reusing linens and sheets, but by saving your recyclable trash too. Leave a note for the housekeeping staff so they know not to wash your linens.
- If possible, unplug everything in your hotel room to conserve energy.
- Use your own toiletries instead of the provided ones.
- Keep your showers short, and shut off the water while you’re brushing your teeth.
- When you leave the room, turn off the air conditioning, heat, television, lights or any other electric devices.
La Cocotera - Environmentally Friendly Resort in El Salvador
La Cocotera was built following the “green leaf” system utilized by the Certification for Sustainable Tourism (CST). Our hotel features:
- Solar energy
- Energy saving light bulbs/ kinesthetic power flashlights
- Biological (not chemical) waste water recycling treatment plant
- Environmentally safe products, shampoos and soaps
- All cleaning products are environmentally safe
- Recycling of plastics, paper and glass
- Ionization pool filtration
La Cocotera also offers ecotourism opportunities such as a Turtle Release program and nature tours. To learn more, visit our Ecotourism Page!
Tags: eco resorts, eco travel, green travel